Framingham, Mass.- The Westfield State field hockey team defeated Framingham State by a score of 4-2 in the Little East opener for both teams Saturday afternoon at Maple Street Field.
- Score: Westfield State 4, Framingham State 2
- Records: Westfield State (2-1, 1-0 LEC), Framingham State (1-1, 0-1 LEC)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams got on the board in the 8th minute when Mady Pimental (Dartmouth, Mass.) scored of an assist from Bailey Donelly (Framingham, Mass.).
- The Owls answered in the 24th minute when Cheryl Latona (Granby, Conn.) scored off a pass from Abby Chernick (Longmeadow, Mass.).
- The Owls scored again before the half when Marina Small (South Harwich, Mass.) sent in a corner to Carly Zona (Auburn, Mass.) who sent a strike into the cage.
- The Owls extended their lead early in the second frame when Marina Small (South Harwich, Mass.) send one home with a helper from Brittany Bowes (Leicester, Mass.). A few moments later Julia Davis (Somerset, Mass.) scored after a scramble in front of the cage.
- The Rams cut the lead to 4-2 when Meghann Ackerman (Littleton, Mass.) scored off a corner play with Donelly and Jordyn O'Boyle (Bradford, Mass.) assisting.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Riley Goulet (Marion, Mass.) and Katie Vamosi (Easton, Mass.) each made a save in net for the Owls.
- Grace Pushor (Olde Towne, ME) made eight saves in net for the Rams.
- Westfield outshot the Rams 20-to-6 in the game and 14-to-4 in the second half.
- Westfield was awarded eight penalty corners to the Rams two.
- The Rams travel to Plymouth State on Friday, September 14th for a 7:00 pm contest.
- Westfield will host Mount Holyoke on Tuesday, September 11th at 7:00 pm.
- For the latest on Framingham State Athletics, follow the Rams via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.