Framingham, Mass. – The University of Southern Maine field hockey team received three goals from Samantha Ellis as the Huskies defeated Framingham State University 4-0 in Little East Conference (LEC) action at this afternoon at Maple Street Field.
- Score: Southern Maine 4, Framingham State 0
- Records: Framingham State (2-8, 0-8 LEC), Southern Maine (6-6, 4-3 LEC)
- Location: Maple Street Field - Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Huskies got on the board just under four minutes into the game. Junior Abbie Staples inserted the ball on a corner to senior Kerigan Demers. Demers sent a pass to Makayla Garvin at the top of the circle and Garvin found the back of the net for the 1-0 lead.
- The Huskies extended their lead just under 10 minutes into the half as Demers sent a shot into the circle that was redirected in front of the net by freshman Samantha Ellis.
- Southern Maine received two more goals from Ellis in the second half to reach the final margin. She tallied her second of the game just under a minute into the second off an assist from Maggie Redman. She completed the hat trick with a goal with 28 minutes remaining off a cross from Dorina Sirois.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Huskies held a 26-5 advantage in shots for the game and held a 21-2 edge in penalty corners.
- Senior Haley Duggan (Framingham, Mass.) took the loss in the cage for the Rams making six saves, while freshman Linday Pych earned the victory for the Huskies making two stops.
The Rams are back in action on Thursday night when they host Dean in a non-conference tilt beginning at 7 p.m., while the Huskies travel to Bates for a non-conference game on Thursday at 6 p.m.