New York, NY – Senior guard Manny Payton (Fitchburg, Mass.) scored 19 points including the 1,000th of his career as the Framingham State University men's basketball team was defeated 66-57 this afternoon by John Jay.
- Score: John Jay 66, Framingham State 57
- Records: Framingham State (1-10), John Jay (6-3)
- Location: The Doghouse – New York, NY
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Payton entered the game needing 18 points to reach the 1,000 point career milestone and he reached the mark on his final three point of the game late in the second half.
- John Jay opened up a 12-4 lead over the first six minutes of the game and extended the lead to 13 with just under eight minutes left in the frame before taking a 30-16 lead into the locker room.
- John Jay maintained the double digit advantage in the second half until a three from freshman Lens Esquil (Taunton, Mass.) cut the deficit to nine with just over eight on the clock, but a three by the Bulldogs pushed the lead back to 12.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Payton becomes the 20th Framingham State men's basketball player to reach the 1,000 point milestone. He tallied 113 points during his first season of collegiate basketball at Anna Maria College and since transferring in his three seasons with the Rams he has now scored 888 points. He finished the game with 19 points, eight rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Sophomore Cameren McCloud-Thomas (Springfield, Mass.) was the only other Ram to record double figures with 13 points on five of eight from the floor to go along with four rebounds.
- Senior Khaniel Bruce (Cambridge, Mass.) chipped in with 10 rebounds, while freshman Jared Gordon-Anderson (Framingham, Mass.) added nine points and a team-best 14 rebounds off the bench.
The Rams are back in action on January 3rd when they travel to Plymouth State.