Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University men's basketball team were defeated at home tonight 81-72 by Worcester State Univeristy in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at the Athletic Center.
- Score: Worcester State 81, Framingham State 72
- Records: Framingham State (5-15, 4-4 MASCAC), Worcester State (11-10, 4-4 MASCAC)
- Location: Athletic Center – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The two teams traded baskets and the lead over the first six minutes of the game, before the Rams used a 5-0 run to take a 15-10 lead on three from senior Manny Payton (Fitchburg, Mass.) with 12:29 on the clock.
- The Lancers closed the gap to 18-16 on a three point play from junior Shaun McCarthy (Oxford, Mass.) with 11 on the clock.
- The Rams pushed the lead back to five before the Lancers tied the game at 25-25 on a freebie from McCarthy.
- The Lancers closed the frame with a 12-6 run taking a 37-31 lead at the break.
- Worcester State opened the second half with a 5-0 run extending the advantage to 42-31, but the Rams cut the gap to seven on a layup from junior Tyri Hampton (Fitchburg, Mass.) with just over 13 minutes remaining.
- Worcester extended the lead back to 12 on a McCarthy free throw with just over ten on the clock. The Rams answered and closed the gap to six (63-57) after a layup from senior Khaneil Bruce (Cambridge, Mass.) and a long two from Payton.
- Worcester extended the lead back to as many as 12 with two minutes remaining, before a Payton hit a jumper in the final seconds to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Payton, who did not come off the floor during the game, led all scorers with a game-best 30 points on 12-of-20 from the floor. He added five boards and two assists.
- Sophomore Cameren McCloud-Thomas (Springfield, Mass.) added 14 points and six rebounds, while classmate Trevor Manyak was the third Ram in double figures with 13 points.
- The Lancers were paced by 17 points apiece from McCarthy and sophomore Erik Bjorn. McCarthy finished with a double double as he grabbed a game-best 13 boards.
- Junior Frantz Francois (Boston, Mass.) added 12 points for the visitors off the bench, while junior Tyler Dion added 11.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they host Salem State in a MASCAC tilt at 1 p.m., while the Lancers travel to MCLA on Saturday at 3 p.m.