Westfield, Mass. – Westfield State University freshman Jake Ratcliffe (Canterbury, New Zealand) recorded his first collegiate hat-trick as the Owls defeated Framingham State 6-0 in MASCAC play on Thursday night at Amelia Park Ice Arena.
Score: Westfield State 6, Framingham State 0
Records:Westfield State (12-6-3, 9-4-1 MASCAC), Framingham State (2-18-1, 0-13-1 MASCAC)
Location: Amelia Park Ice Arena- Westfield, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Justin Collins (Wilmington, Mass.) got things started for the Owls after he snapped home a wrister on a breakaway to give Westfield State the lead early in the first.
- Westfield State added to their lead when Jake Ratcliffe slapped home his 10th of the season off a one-time pass from Justin Alves (Woburn, Mass.) to extend the Owl lead, 2-0.
- The second period was all Westfield State as they Owls outshot the Rams 22-7 and tacked on two more goals to extend the lead to 4-0. The first goal of the period came from Tristan Theriot (Fort Wayne, Ind.) and the second from Lenny Caglianone (Matawan, N.J.) who deked past two defenders and lifted a backhander past Rams goaltender Greg Harney (East, Haven, Conn.).
- Ratcliffe would tack on two more in the third to complete the hat trick and secure the Owls' 6-0 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Westfield goaltender Thierry Messervier (Montreal, Quebec) notched his third shutout of the season, making 28 saves in the process.
- Westfield outshot Framingham 47-28 in the game. Harney finshed with 41 saves for the Rams.
- Framingham resumes play Tuesday finishing the remainder of the postponed Worcester State game from February 2nd. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:55 p.m.
- The Owls return to play Saturday as they host UMass. Dartmouth for senior night, puck drop scheduled for 5:35 p.m
*Release courtesy of Westfield sports information