Women’s Basketball Comeback Falls Short in Overtime against Suffolk 90-87

Mary Kate O'Day
Mary Kate O'Day

Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University women's basketball team battled back from a double digit deficit to force overtime, but Suffolk University tallied five of the final seven points in the extra session to defeat Framingham State 90-87 this afternoon in non-conference action at the Athletic Center.

With the win, the Suffolk Rams are now 7-2 on the season, while the Framingham State Rams even their season mark at 4-4.

Framingham State was paced by a career and game-high 34 points from sophomore Mary Kate O'Day (Berlin, Mass.). O'Day connected on 13-of-25 from the field including six-of-12 from behind the arc to go along with seven boards, an assist, a block and a steal.

Junior Tiphani Harris (Revere, Mass.) added 16 points on eight-of-12 from the field and completed the double double with 11 rebounds including five on the offensive glass.  Sophomore Mallory DeFeo (Arlington, Mass.) added 15 points and nine boards, while senior Lauren Donahue (Attleboro, Mass.) handed out 12 assists.

Suffolk was led by the duo of freshman Jenni-Rose DiCecco (Falmouth, Mass.) and senior Georgia Bourikas (Hull, Mass.) who combined for 57 points.  DeCecco led the way with 29 points as she connected on 10-of-21 from the floor which included shooting 50% (7-of-14) from behind the arc.  Bourikas tallied 28 points connecting on 10-of-18 from the floor and added eight rebounds, while sophomore Alexis Hackett (Charlton, Mass.) added a team-best 11 boards.

The first quarter saw three lead changes before Suffolk took a 17-15 lead after one on a three by Marissa Gudauskas.

In the second quarter, the Boston Rams quickly pushed the lead to seven before Framingham State cut the deficit to three of a trifecta by O'Day with just under eight remaining.  Suffolk answered with a 10-0 run capped by a Shannon Smith jumper to take a 33-20 lead.  Framingham State would chip away and headed to the locker room down by nine, 44-35.

Suffolk pushed the lead back to 12 late in the third quarter before the Rams mounted a comeback closing the frame with a 9-4 run to cut the deficit to seven after three.

The Rams continued to chip away at the lead and tied the game at 74-74 with just under three remaining on a layup by DeFeo.  A Harris bucket in the paint with 2:35 remaining gave the Rams the lead.  A Bourikas layup tied the game for Suffolk, but a jumper by senior Raegan Mulherin (Baldwinville, Mass.) put the Rams back on top.  Suffolk needed a free throw from Hackett and a three from Bourkis with 29 seconds remaining to retake the lead 80-78.  After a timeout, a Harris layup with 23 seconds remaining tied the game and forced overtime after Suffolk could not score on their final possession.

After a Suffolk basket in overtime, O'Day connected on a three from the top of the key putting the Rams up one.  A free throw would tie the game, but a Harris jumper put Framingham State back in the lead by two with 2:25 remaining.  Suffolk rattled off a 7-0 run to secure the victory.

The Rams are back in action on Tuesday night when they travel to MIT for a non-conference contest at 7 p.m., while Suffolk hosts Emerson on Tuesday night at 5 p.m.