Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University women's basketball team received a team-high 20 points from junior forward Julia Sanborn (Dracut, Mass.) as the Rams defeated Lasell College 72-60 in non-conference action this evening at the Athletic Center.
- Score: Framingham State 72, Lasell 60
- Records: Framingham State (2-1), Lasell College (1-3)
- Location: Athletic Center – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams led 10-4 after a trey by sophomore Abbey Battaini (Haverhill, Mass.) midway through the first quarter, but the Lasers closed the quarter with 13-5 run fueled by a pair of threes from sophomore Peyton Young (Douglas, Mass.) to take a 17-15 lead after one.
- The second quarter was tied at 21-21 with just over seven minutes remaining, but the Rams used an 11-0 run featuring six points from Sanborn to open up a double digit lead. The two teams traded baskets at the end of the quarter and the Rams led 34-23 at the break.
- The Rams extended the lead to 15 midway through the third after a pair of threes from Battaini. A steal and bucket in transition from Young cut the deficit to 11 for the Lasers with 10 seconds remaining in the frame, but sophomore Bryanna Santos (Brockton, Mass.) converted a pair of free throws in the closing seconds and the Rams led 54-41 after three.
- In the fourth, the Rams extended the lead to as many as 19 on a layup and freebie from junior Emily Velozo (Tewksbury, Mass.) midway through the fourth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sanborn connected on eight-of-14 from the floor en route to her 20 and added eight rebounds and two blocks.
- Velozo finished the game with 14 points, four rebound and six assists, while Battaini finished with 12 points connecting on four-of-eight from behind the arc. Junior Mary Kate O'Day (Berlin, Mass.) and senior Tiphani Harris (Revere, Mass.) added 10 points apiece, while Harris recorded a team-best 10 boards.
- The Lasers were led by 22 points from junior Amanda Ortiz (Newton, Mass.), while Young finished with eight.
The Rams are back in action on Friday, November 30th when they travel to Norwich for the Ed Hockenbury Classic and face Hamilton College at 8 p.m., while the Lasers face Medgar Evers on November 24th at 5 p.m.