Fitchburg, Mass. – The Framingham State University women's basketball team received double doubles from senior Tiphani Harris (Revere, Mass.) and juniors Mary Kate O'Day (Berlin, Mass.) and Julia Sanborn (Dracut, Mass.) as the Rams defeated Fitchburg State University 90-63 this afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Parkinson Gymnasium.
- Score: Framingham State 90, Fitchburg State 63
- Records: Framingham State (14-5, 6-1 MASCAC), Fitchburg State (8-10, 2-5 MASCAC)
- Location: Parkinson Gymnasium - Fitchburg, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Framingham State took a 12-3 advantage to open the contest on a Liana Cunningham (Quincy, Mass.) jumper before Fitchburg State countered with a three pointer from junior Catherine Coppinger (Boston, Mass.) to cut the lead to 12-6.
- The Rams extended their margin (20-11) as sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) knocked down a three.
- The Rams pushed their lead to 29-11 on a layup from O'Day, but the Falcons responded with a three ball by sophomore Payton Holmes (Carver, Mass.) and a layup from junior Angelina Marazzi (Manchester, N.H.) to cut the deficit to 36-18.
- The Green and Gold continued to chip away at the lead, going on a 5-0 run to end the half on buckets from freshman Jadelen Harold (Nantucket, Mass.) and sophomore Chloe Roberts (Hanson, Mass.) to make the score 50-29 going into break.
- Following the break, Framingham State upped its advantage (57-29) on a Sanborn bucket before Fitchburg State answered with a three point play from Marazzi to cut the lead to 57-32. The Rams built the lead to 73-46 as junior Emily Velozo (Tewksbury, Mass.) hit a pair from the charity stripe.
- In the fourth quarter, the Falcons cut into the lead on a three ball by Marazzi and a layup (75-51), but the Rams answered on a Sanborn jumper to push the lead to 79-54. After a three pointer by Coppinger, Framingham State secured the victory on a bucket by Sanborn, resulting in the 90-63 final
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Day led all scorers with her game-high 22 points, 13 rebounds and eight assists. O'Day connected on eight-of-19 from the floor in the game and also recorded four steals.
- Harris finished the game connecting on four-of-nine from the floor for 16 points and finished the double double with 12 boards. Sanborn finished the contest with 10 points and 13 rebounds, while Velozo was the fourth Ram in double figures with 11 points.
- The Falcons were paced by Marazzi who recorded 19 points, seven assists and five rebounds.
- The Rams shot 44% from the floor in game and 31% from behind the arc, while the Falcons connected on 30% of their offerings including 34% from behind the arc. The Rams held a 57-39 edge on the glass in the contest.
The Rams are back in action Wednesday when they host Worcester State for a MASCAC contest at 8 p.m.
Release courtesy of Fitchburg State Sports Information