Westfield, Mass. - The Framingham State University football team tallied 14 points in the fourth quarter as the Rams defeated Westfield State University 27-2 this afternoon in the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Alumni Field.
- Score: Framingham State 27, Westfield State 2
- Records: Framingham State (5-2, 4-2 MASCAC), Westfield State (4-4, 3-3 MASCAC)
- Location: Alumni Field – Westfield, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Westfield State got on the board first, recording a safety with 4:23 left in the first quarter when the Owls forced a punt deep in the Framingham end, and the errant snap was far above the punter's head and skidded through the end zone for a 2-0 Owls lead.
- Framingham led 13-2 at the half, getting a pair of second-quarter scores. The first on a 38 yard run from Sebastien Robert (Cambridge, Mass.), and the second on a 37-yard scoop and score fumble recovery from RJ Fialli (Everett, Mass.). Darian Belizaire (Framingham, Mass.) sacked Westfield State quarterback Jake Cassidy (Swampscott, Mass.) forcing the fumble.
- The Rams finally extended their lead early in the fourth quarter, as Rufus Rushins (Lynn, Mass.) plowed into the end zone from three yards out to cap a 4-play, 35-yard drive after Kenny Sullivan picked off an Owls pass to set up the short drive.
- Framingham put the game away for good with a 63-yard scoring strike from quarterback Adam Wojenski (Stratford, Conn) to Shaquille Joseph (Somerville, Mass.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wojenski was just 8-20 passing, but racked up 191 yards on the eight completions, averaging 23.9 yards per hook up.
- Robert finished with 58 yards rushing on six carries, and Quron Wright (Worcester, Mass.) added 10 carries for 51 yards.
- Joseph finished the game with three catches for 134 yard and a score.
- For Westfield, Cassidy was 10-29 passing for 104 yards, and added 53 yards on the ground. The Rams limited Travon Holder (Hartford, Conn.) to 46 yards on 19 carries.
- Zach Howard (Spencer, Mass.) led the Owls with eight tackles, a sack, and two pass breakups.
- Anthony Behonick (Rutland, Mass.)led Framingham with eight tackles, while Rashaun Rivers (Westfield, Mass.) added six solo stops, a forced fumble, an interception and a pass break up.
The Rams are back in action at home next week when they host the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in a MASCAC contest slated to kickoff at 12 p.m.