Framingham, Mass. - The Framingham State University football team rushed for five touchdowns from four different players as the Rams defeated the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth 44-13 this evening in the Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Bowditch Field.
- Score: Framingham State 44, UMass Dartmouth 13
- Records: Framingham State (6-2, 5-1 MASCAC), UMass Dartmouth (4-4, 3-3 MASCAC)
- Location: Bowditch Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams took the opening kickoff and drove 64 yards, on 11 plays for the first score of the game. Senior wide out Napoleon Miller (Dorchester, Mass.) scored from 17 yards out on an end around. Freshman Henrique DeBoni converted the extra point for the 7-0 lead with 9:46 on the clock in the first.
- The Corsairs answered with a touchdown of their own on their first possession of the game. Sophomore Stephen Gacioch hit sophomore DJ Machado with a 75 yard touchdown strike on their second play from scrimmage. After the extra point was blocked, the Rams led 7-6.
- The Rams took the lead for good on the ensuing possession as senior Sebastien Robert (Cambridge, Mass.) scored on a 17 yard run. The key play on the drive was a 33 yard pass from junior Adam Wojenski (Stratford, Conn.) to Miller. After DeBoni's extra point, the Rams led 14-6.
- Senior Quron Wright (Worcester, Mass.) scored on a 50 run in the opening minutes of the second quarter putting the Rams ahead 21-6.
- The Rams added two more points when sophomore RJ Fialli (Everett, Mass.) blocked a Corsairs punt and the ball went out of the back of the end zone for the safety.
- The Rams next two scores came on rushes by junior Rufus Rushins (Lynn, Mass.). Rushins scored first on a four yard run after a long run by Wojenski gave the Rams the ball inside the five. His second TD of the game was a one yard run with six minutes remaining in the third that capped an 11 play, 47 yard drive.
- Senior Kenneth Bartolo (Malden, Mass.) recorded an interception with 4:45 left in the third that led to the Rams final score of the game. Wojenski connected with sophomore Shaquille Joseph (Somerville, Mass.) for a 58 yard score with 3:40 left in the third
- The Corsairs would add late touchdown in the fourth on a 25 yard run by Jacob Francis to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wright paced the Rams on the ground with 137 yards on 17 carries with a touchdown, while also catching a pass for 17 yards. Miller rushed for 42 yards on three carries with a score and made two catches for 43 yards.
- Wojenski rushed for 78 yards on 11 carries, while completing 10-of-20 passes for 172 yards and touchdown.
- Robert finished the game with 54 yards on the ground and a score, while Rushins rushed for 23 yards on six carries with a pair of TDs.
- Francis paced the Corsairs with 97 yards rushing on 10 carries, while Gacioch completed 9-of-18 for 168 yards with a touchdown and a pick.
- Machado finished the game with four catches for 110 yards and a touchdown.
- Defensively, the Rams were led by nine tackles, seven solo, a sack, three tackles for a loss and a block by junior Jack Sullivan (Dartmouth, Mass.). Freshman Cully Curran (Arlington, Mass.) added six tackles.
- The Rams amasses 500 yards of total offense in the game including 325 on the ground, while the Corsairs racked up 392 yards of offense including just 166 on the ground.
The Rams are in action next week when they travel to Western Connecticut for a MASCAC contest beginning at 5 p.m. The Corsairs return home and host Mass. Maritime next Saturday at 12 p.m.