Worcester, Mass. - The Framingham State University football team secured the 2018 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Title and a bid to the 2018 NCAA Division III Football Championship this afternoon with a 47-6 victory over Worcester State University in MASCAC action at Coughlin Field.
- Score: Framingham State 47, Worcester State 6
- Records: Framingham State (8-2, 7-1 MASCAC), Worcester State (2-8, 1-7 MASCAC)
- Location: Coughlin Field – Worcester, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Lancers got on the board first late in the first quarter capitalizing on a miscue by the Rams. The Rams were forced to punt, but the snap sailed over the punters head. The ball was kicked out of the back of the end zone from the one yard line allowing the Lancers to take over at the one. The Rams stopped the Lancers on first and second down, but Mike Kadlick found the end zone on third down for the 6-0 lead.
- The game was all Rams after that as the defense kept the Lancers off the board and accounted for the Rams first points of the game. Senior Darian Belizaire (Framingham, Mass.) forced a fumble by the Lancers and then scooped the ball up and returned it for a 25 yard touchdown. After the extra point failed, the game was tied 6-6 with 9:35 left in the first.
- The Rams took the lead for good on their next possession of the game as junior Adam Wojenski (Stratford, Conn.) connected with senior Napoleon Miller (Dorchester, Mass.) for a 17 yard score. Freshman Henrique De Boni converted the extra point giving the Rams a 13-6 lead.
- The defense forced the Lancers to punt on their following possession and the offense took the ball down the field and scored again as junior Rufus Rushins (Lynn, Mass.) found the back of the end zone from a yard out with 32 seconds remaining in the half capping an eight play, 32 yard drive.
- The Rams would a three more scores in the third quarter putting the game out of reach. Senior Mike Calicchio (Chelmsford, Mass.) caught a 14 yard touchdown pass from Wojenski with 7:41 left on the clock in the third.
- Senior Quron Wright (Worcester, Mass.) scampered in from 21 yards out with 3:59 on the clock. Wojenski and Miller connected on their second of the day with 2:31 left in the clock. This one was from 24 yards out and followed a 30 yard rush by senior Nasir Thomas (Springfield, Mass.).
- The Rams would add one final score in the fourth quarter on a two yard run by senior Sebastien Robert (Cambridge, Mass.) to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams are the outright champions of the MASCAC after Westfield State defeated Western Connecticut this afternoon. The Rams have won their second straight MASCAC Title and fifth in the last six year. They will be making their first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2015.
- Wojenski finished the game 13 of 21 for the Rams for 131 yards with three touchdowns, while Miller had five grabs for 60 yards with two touchdowns.
- Robert finished the game with 104 yards on 14 carries with a touchdown, while Wright finished the game with 87 yards rushing on 15 carries with a score.
- The Rams were paced on defense by senior Rashaun Rivers (Westfield, Mass.) who recorded seven tackles, five solo with two pass breakups, while junior Jack Sullivan (Dartmouth, Mass.) also recorded seven tackles with a sack.
- Freshman Cully Curran (Arlington, Mass.) added three tackles and an interception returned 21 yards, while Ryan Quinn (Billerica, Mass.) finished with seven tackles and 1.5 sacks.
The Rams receive the MASCAC's automatic bid to the 2018 NCAA Division III Football Championship with pairings announced tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.
- For the latest on Framingham State Athletics, follow the Rams via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.