Framingham, Mass. - The Western Connecticut State University field hockey team tallied six goals in the first half en route to a 9-1 victory over the Framingham State University field hockey team in Little East Conference (LEC) action at this afternoon at Maple Street Field.
- Score: Western Connecticut 9, Framingham State 1
- Records: Framingham State (2-5, 0-5 LEC), Western Connecticut (6-4, 4-2 LEC)
- Location: Maple Street Field - Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Colonials got on the board just under four minutes into the contest. Junior Morgan Matthews (Bethel, Conn.) scored off a feed from junior Carly Matasavage (Middlebury, Conn.) for the 1-0 lead.
- Just over a minute later, Matthews tallied her second of the game unassisted for the 2-0 advantage.
- The Rams got on the board with just over 18 minutes remaining in the half. Sophomore Marissa Dias (Attleboro, Mass.) sent a shot from the top into the circle that was deflected in front of the net by senior Meaghann Ackerman (Littleton, Mass.) pulling the Rams within one, 2-1.
- The Colonials closed the half with four unanswered goals in the final 17 minutes to take a 6-1 lead at the break. Senior Allie Noteware (New Milford, Conn.) tallied a goals and two assists on the spurt.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Matthew paced the Colonials with a pair of goals, while Noteware finished the contest with a goal and four assists.
- The Colonials outshot the Rams 19-9 in the game and held a 14-4 edge in penalty corners.
- Neve Manion (Newington, Conn.) earned the victory in net for the Colonials allowing one goal and making seven saves.
- Freshman Grace Pushor (Old Town, ME) took the loss for the Rams allowing four goals with three saves in 28 minutes. Senior Haley Duggan (Framingham, Mass.) made four saves and allowed five goals in her time in net.
Both teams resume Little East action on Wednesday with the Rams traveling to Castleton for a 6 p.m. contest and the Colonials hosting UMass Dartmouth at 4 p.m.