Framingham, Mass.— The Salem State men's basketball team received double-digit performances by four players en route to a 91-70 win over Framingham State in MASCAC action Saturday afternoon.
Score: Salem State University 91, Framingham State University 70
Records: Salem State (14-8, 8-1 MASCAC), Framingham State (5-16, 4-5 MASCAC)
Location: Athletic Center – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a Tyri Hampton (Fitchburg, Mass.) basket two minutes into the game to give the Rams a 6-4 advantage the Vikings rattled of a 14-4 run capped by a Matt McCune (Somerville, Mass.) trey to lead 18-10 about eight minutes into the game.
- The Vikings pushed their first half lead to as much as 17 on Sean Bryan (Lowell, Mass.) free throw late in the half as the two teams headed to the locker room with the visitors up 43-28.
- The Rams came out of the half with a 9-3 run to cut the deficit back to 10 on a Hampton jumper four minutes into the frame but that's as close as they would come.
- Leading 11, 63-52, the Vikings pushed their lead to 17 after a 6-0 run capped by an Evan Mason (Gloucester, Mass.) free throw with about ten minutes to play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Bryan led all Vikings with 21 points shooting 7-of-9 from the charity stripe. Hakeem Animashaun (Dedham, Mass.) added a double-double with 14 points and a game best 17 boards. Temitope Bailey (West Springfield, Mass.) chipped in 12 for Salem while Melvin Worley (Lowell, Mass.) added 11 from the bench.
- The Rams were paced by senior Manny Payton (Fitchburg, Mass.) with a game-high 23 points on 8-of-13 shooting. Hampton added 15 points while Khaneil Bruce (Cambridge, Mass.) chipped in 14.
- Both teams are back in action on Wednesday, February 6th as Salem hosts Bridgewater State while the Rams head to Westfield.