Clermont, Fla. – The Framingham State University softball team received a pair of homers from sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) as the Rams defeated Farmington 10-7 after dropping their season opener 3-0 to nationally ranked Geneseo this morning at the PFX Games.
- Scores: Geneseo 3, Framingham State 0
Framingham State 10, Farmington 7
- Records: Framingham State (1-1), Geneseo (2-1), Maine-Farmington (0-1)
- Location: Hancock Park – Clermont, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
FSU vs. Geneseo -
- Geneseo plated a pair of runs in the top of the fourth inning to get on the board first as Framingham's Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) and Geneseo's Nicole Schwartz combined to allow just one hit through the first three innings.
- In the top of the fourth, a walk and a single by Abbey Whitney gave Geneseo runners on first and second with one out. Hannah Elmer followed with a triple down the right field line scoring two. Whitney was thrown out at the plate and a ground ball ended the inning.
- The Rams threatened to score in the bottom of the fifth, but could not push a run across. Freshman Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.) singled but was erased when senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) reached on a fielder's choice. A ground out moved Salisbury to second and an infield single by freshman Laela Pepin (Acushnet, Mass.) put runners with the corners with two out. Schwartz was able to get a ground ball to end the inning.
- Geneseo tacked on an insurance run in the top of the seventh on an RBI fielder's choice off the bat of Alyssa Persich.
- Schwartz retired the Rams in order to earn the shutout victory. She went the distance surrendering just three hits with no walks and three strikeouts.
- Gunarathne took the loss in her first start of the year going seven innings and allowing three runs, two earned, on six hits with three walks and four strikeouts.
FSU vs. Maine-Farmington -
- In game two, sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) had an outstanding game at the plate for the Rams. Desrochers went four-for-five at the plate with two homeruns, a double and four RBI in the game.
- Junior Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) added three hits, an RBI and a run scored, while Pepin and Adam both picked up two hits apiece.
- After a back-and-forth affair UMF took a 5-4 lead in the 5th on a Kristin Oberg single but the Rams answered with five in the sixth. Salisbury led off with a homer to center to tie the game. After singles by Pepin and Victoria Ziner (Easton, Mass.), junior Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.) roped a 2 run double to left followed by Desrochers' second homer of the game to lead 9-5.
- Farmington rallied in their portion of the sixth but Caughey came in and shut the door to earn the save. Caughey started in the circle and combined for 5.2 innings giving up six hits and four runs. Marissa Vellucci (Tyngsboro, Mass.) earned her first collegiate win working 1.1 innings of relief for the Rams.
The Rams are back in action on Monday morning when they face Trinity and Endicott in a pair of games at Legends Way.