Boston, Mass. – The Framingham State University softball team dropped a pair of game to UMass Boston this afternoon falling 8-0 in six innings in the opener before being defeated 5-1 in game two in non-conference action.
- Scores: Game 1: UMass Boston 8, Framingham State 0 (6 Innings)
Game 2: UMass Boston 5, Framingham State 1
- Records: Framingham State (7-11), UMass Boston (14-9)
- Location: Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- UMass Boston scored in four of the six innings, including four runs in the fourth, to earn the run rule victory over Framingham State.
- In the circle, Jess Greenspan added to her program-record total in shutouts (eight) by scattering five hits and three walks over six innings. The junior also struck out two to earn her 10thwin of the season.
- Framingham State ace Kelsi Gunarathne took the loss after allowing seven runs (five earned) and eight hits over four innings.
- Roxanne Vento went 2-3 in game one with three RBI and a walk. Kelly Danahy tacked on one hit and two RBI and Gigi Braga (Medford, Mass.) registered three runs scored and two hits.
- Mycala Moody recorded two of Framingham State's five singles in the contest.
- UMass Boston took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Braga reached on an infield single, took second on a wild pitch and raced home from second on a Vento single up the middle.
- The Beacons tacked on two more runs in the third. Taylor Pawlina (Woonsocket, R.I.) led off with a single and Braga added a single of her own. With one down, Vento rocketed a triple through the right side that rolled all the way to the wall and plated both runners.
- UMass Boston put the game away in the fourth. Sarah Harlinski (Sturbridge, Mass.) opened the frame with a single and took second on a fielder's choice when the Rams threw the ball away. After a double steal moved both runners up, Giovanna Bonilla (Queens, N.Y.) plated Harlinski and Braga raced home on another error. Bonilla came home on the next batter on a wild pitch and Danahy capped off the scoring with a sacrifice fly that plated Alley Diaute (Braintree, Mass.).
- Framingham State loaded the bases in the top of the fifth, but Greenspan struck out the pinch hitter to get out of a jam.
- The Beacons closed out the game a half-inning early thanks to a two-out rally. Ari Bilotta (Leominster, Mass.) roped a two-out double down the left-field line and then easily scored on Danahy's RBI single up the middle.
Game 2 -
- Hayley Catania put together a solid start in game two and the Beacons scored four runs in the sixth inning to knock off the Rams.
- The Beacons freshman righty gave up a one-out single in the top of the first and then retired 16-straight batters. Overall, Catania allowed just two hits and two walks, along with one earned run. She tacked on one strikeout to even her record at 4-4 overall.
- Eight different Beacons recorded a hit in the contest, with Cassidy Gaeta (North Reading, Mass.), Danahy and Bilotta all finishing with a hit and an RBI.
- Framingham State's Grace Caughey took the loss after giving up seven hits and four earned runs over 5.1 innings pitched.
- Farrah Adam recorded a hit and an RBI, while Moody tacked on the other Rams hit.
- Moody recorded a one-out single in the top of the first but was erased on a sharply hit ground ball to shortstop that Braga turned into an inning-ending, double-play ball.
- The Beacons took advantage of their chance to score in the bottom of the inning. Braga walked and moved to second on a Bonilla single. After a fielder's choice erased the lead runner, Bonilla and Vento executed a double steal to put both runners in scoring position. Bilotta came through with an RBI groundout that plated Bonilla to make it 1-0 Beacons.
- The game would stay at 1-0 until the bottom of the sixth inning thanks to strong defense and pitching from both sides.
- Catania set the Rams down in order from the second inning through the sixth thanks to several running catches from Kiera Prusmack (Houston, Texas) and Drew Washington (Bordentown, N.J.).
- UMass Boston finally got some insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth. Vento singled with one down and Bilotta followed with a single of her own. Danahy brought home Harlinski, who came on as a pinch runner, with an RBI single to center field. Gaeta followed with an RBI single of her own.
- After a pitching change, Britney Perkett (Pittsfield, Mass.) singled to load the bases. With two outs, A. Diaute worked a bases loaded walk to score her sister Gigi Diaute (Braintree, Mass.). Perkett came home three pitchers later on a wild pitch that got back to the back stop.
- Framingham State finally ended Catania's run in the seventh. Camille Desrochers worked a leadoff walk and moved to second with two outs on a groundout. Adam broke up the shutout bid with a single through the right side, but Catania settled down and induced a groundout back to the circle to close it out.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Westfield State for a pair of MASCAC games beginning at 12 p.m.
Release courtesy of UMB Sports Information