Framingham, Mass. – The Framingham State University softball team swept Massachusetts Maritime Academy this afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) at Maple Street Field taking game one 8-0 and game two in five innings by a score 18-1.
- Scores: Game 1: Framingham State 8, Mass Maritime 0
Game 2: Framingham State 18, Mass Maritime 1 (5 Innings)
- Records: Framingham State (17-11, 8-0 MASCAC), Mass. Maritime (0-16, 0-8 MASCAC)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Game 1 -
- In the opener, the Rams plated six runs in their first at bat of the day. Junior Mycala Moody (North Attleboro, Mass.) scored a run with a single to center and freshman Farrah Adam (West Springfield, Mass.) scored two with a single to left. Junior Kaylea Sherman (North Attleboro, Mass.) added an RBI single and classmate Kirsten Dick (Tewksbury, Mass.) added an RBI double.
- The Rams added a single run in the top of the fifth on an RBI double from Dick and a run in the top of the seventh on a single from senior Lauren Salisbury (Cranston, RI) to reach the final margin.
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne (North Providence, RI) earned the win the circle going seven shutout innings and allowing just two hits with a walk and 10 strikeouts.
- Salisbury and sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) paced the Rams with three hits apiece, while freshman Laela Pepin (Acushnet, Mass.), Sherman and Dick chipped in with two hits each.
- Rachel Gardner and Madison Ovadek recorded a single hit apiece for the Buccaneers.
Game 2 -
- In game two, Dick belted a pair of homers for the Rams who recorded 24 hits in the game. Dick's first homerun of the game was a solo shot to center in the second inning and her second was a two run blast in the fourth. Dick went three-for-four in the game with three RBI and three runs scored.
- Moody and sophomore Camille Desrochers (Westford, Mass.) finished the game 4-for-4 apiece with Moody crossing the plate four times and driving in two.
- Caughey and Salisbury added two hits apiece, while Pepin and Victoria Ziner recorded two each.
- Caughey earned the victory in the circle going four shutout innings allowing four hits, a walk and a strikeout.
- Lucia Buzzell fueled the Bucs in game two with a triple and then scored on an RBI single by Savanna Leite.
The Rams are back in action on Wednesday when they travel to Babson for a pair on non-conference games at 3 p.m., while the Buccaneers travel to Pine Manor tomorrow for a pair of games at 3 p.m.