Fitchburg, Mass.— The Framingham State women's soccer team defeated Fitchburg State by a score of 2-1 in MASCAC action Friday evening at Elliot Field.
Score: Fitchburg State 1, Framingham State 2
Records: Fitchburg State (3-11-1, 2-5 MASCAC) | Framingham State (5-11-1, 4-3 MASCAC)
Location: Elliot Field – Fitchburg, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a scoreless first half the Rams wasted little time tripping the scoreboard as senior Kayla Almstrom (Auburn, Mass.) converted a pass from freshman Olivia Mihalek (Northborough, Mass.) just under two minutes in for the 1-0 lead.
- The visitors doubled the lead when freshman Elizabeth Paolucci (Chelmsford, Mass.) snuck a shot inside the post past Falcons goaltender Sarah Hemmings(Eastham, Mass.) in the 57th minute.
- The Falcons cut the deficit to 2-1 in the 69th minute. Freshman standout Elicia Marshall (Taunton, Mass.) maneuvered in-between the Rams defense, picked up a loose ball and deposited her 10th goal of the season into an open net.
- Framingham net minder Jennifer Stevens (Hopkinton, Mass.) made several key saves down the stretch to keep the Falcons at bay and earn the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Stevens finished the night with nine saves, while Hemmings made three saves in the loss.
- Fitchburg held the advantage in shots (16-9) and both teams had three corners in the game.
- Fitchburg (#6) will travel to Westfield State (#3) while Framingham (#4) will host Salem State (#5), on Tuesday, October 30that 7pm in opening round action of the MASCAC tournament.
- For the latest on Framingham State Athletics, follow the Rams via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
*Release courtesy of Fitchburg sports information