Quincy, Mass. – Senior Mackenzie Whalen (Norton, Mass.) and freshman Brandee Thomas (North Kingstown, RI) were named to the All-Tournament Team at the Eastern Nazarene Invitational as the Framingham State University volleyball team defeated Nichols 3-0 before falling to host Eastern Nazarene 3-2.
Framingham State 25 25 25
Nichols 15 10 26
Framingham State 25 25 22 22 12
Eastern Nazarene 16 19 25 25 15
- Records: Framingham State (3-3), Nichols College (2-4), Eastern Nazarene (4-2)
- Location: Lahue Physical Education Center - Quincy, Mass.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
FSU 3, Nichols 0
- Thomas led the Rams with 12 kills on 28 attempts with just two errors for .357 hitting percentage.
- Sophomore Brandey Rodriguez (Lawrence, Mass.) added 11 kills on 20 attempts with three service aces and two digs.
- Junior Deirdre Fay (Cornwall, NY) added five service aces and 17 digs, while freshman Alyssa Cafarelli (Peoria, AZ) adde 18 digs.
- Whalen chipped in with 32 set assists and three service aces, while sophomore Grace Caughey (Mendon, Mass.) added five kills and seven digs.
- Nichols was paced by 11 kills and three digs from Megan Gardner. Smantha Callejo and Jayleen Fegan paced the back row with 11 and 10 digs respectively.
Eastern Nazarene 3, Framingham State 2
- The Rams easily took the first two sets against the host Lions before the Lions pulled out a back and forth third set scoring the final two points of the frame. The Rams led 15-7 in the fourth before the Lions used a 12-0 run to take control of the set. Eastern Nazarene jumped out to a 7-1 lead in the deciding fifth en route to the come from behind victory.
- Thomas recorded a double double in the loss with 12 kills and 16 digs, while Rodriguez added 12 kills and three blocks. Caughey added a double double of 11 kills and 17 digs.
- Whalen chipped in with 45 set assists, five aces and 10 digs, while Fay chopped in with seven kills and 24 digs. Junior Brenna Marquis (Coventry, Conn.) led all Rams with a team-best 26 defensive digs.
- Eastern Nazarene received 19 kills and 15 digs from Ruth Aguilar, while Courtney McCarthy added 18 kills and 19 digs. McKenzie Walling recorded a match-best 34 defensive digs.
The Rams begin conference action on Tuesday, September 11th when they travel to MASCAC foe MCLA for a 6 p.m. match.